Published on November 30, 2021

Pianist Shawn Hui (2018) left a lasting legacy at HVGS for his skill and bravery behind the piano. Now studying at the Elder Conservatorium, one of Australia’s oldest and most distinguished tertiary music schools, Shawn’s recent performance (of the very difficult) Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 with the Elder Conservatorium Orchestra has elevated his confidence to a whole level. Shawn shares more about this exhilarating experience.

Pianist on stage

What have you been up to since leaving HVGS?

I’ve been focusing a lot more on music since I left HVGS. Most of my time is spent learning and exploring various music repertoires and performing in public concerts, notably with Recitals Australia and the Flinders University Lunchtime Concert Series. 

Tell us more about your involvement with Elder Conservatorium Orchestra.

After my exam in my third year first semester at the Elder Conservatorium, I was invited to play with the Elder Conservatorium Orchestra, to which I keenly agreed. The issue for me was, I only had learnt the first movement of the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1, and there were still two more movements that I had to learn for the concert at the end of the year. Miraculously, I managed to learn the entire Concerto, and the Orchestra was amazing and lovely to work alongside. 

What was that experience like?

Admittedly, I was feeling extremely stressed out on the day of the concert. Still, I kept reminding myself before walking on stage of all the support and wishes that my family, teachers, colleagues, and friends had given me. 

The sensation when I first walked on stage was one that I had never felt before. It was the first time I could genuinely say that I owned the stage with confidence and authority. 

student playing piano
Shawn performing at the 2017 Symphony Orchestra Concert.

What is your big dream in life?

My biggest dream in life is to follow in the footsteps of all the piano teachers that I had the pleasure to work with. I want to spread the joy and culture of classical music across not only Australia but across the world. 

“My advice for HVGS music students is: Don’t work hard; work smart!”

Shawn Hui

What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received?

Make sure to blend a perfect balance between your studies and your personal life as it is very easy to get tunnel-visioned on the work, which can lead to unnecessary stress and burnout. 

Also, never feel guilty about spending your free time doing what you love so that you can continue working/studying with the utmost passion and efficiency.