Published on September 10, 2024

In Hunter Valley Grammar School’s production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Year 12 student Meisha H captivated audiences in the role of Willy Wonka. With a passion for acting and a dream of pursuing it as a career, Meisha seized this final opportunity to participate in a school production. Her dedication, from preparing for auditions to managing her studies alongside rehearsals, demonstrated her commitment to the craft. Through her experience, Meisha not only embraced the challenges of live theatre but also discovered a newfound confidence in her ability to take on such a complex and iconic role.

What made you audition for the HVGS production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

There were a few reasons. I love acting, and it is actually what I want to pursue when I leave school. It was my last opportunity to be part of a school production, so I wanted to have that experience with me when I left school.

What role(s) did you audition for and why?

To begin with, I was interested in auditioning for Willy Wonka and Charlie Bucket, which are the two leads, but I thought I was more of a Charlie than a Wonka. Before the audition process even began, I watched a version of the musical on YouTube, and when I watched the song “It Must Be Believed to Been”, I knew how much and how badly I wanted the role of Wonka. In the group audition process, I decided to pick a role in where I could show my strengths in physicality, and the goal was that, hopefully, I would get a callback.

How did you feel when you found out you got the lead role?

I was very proud of myself, and it inspired me to continue my journey in acting as a career because I started to see what I could do in the future. I was also surprised that I could pull
off the role as it is a male role, and I wasn’t sure if that would hinder my chances.

What was involved in such a large production?

There were many elements that are involed in making a large production, the best thing for my self was the amount of rehearsals. And as it is a musical, all actors must be well-rounded performers, including dance, physicality, singing/musicality and acting. There is much to think about for all the characters when on stage. When it comes to live theatre, anything can happen, especially when you are also dealing with a live orchestra. Having a live orchestra is an experience that’s second to none, and I am so grateful that I have had that opportunity.  

How did you manage to take this on and manage your studies?

It was very challenging to manage study/assessments. When I auditioned, I was very aware that it would be difficult, but I knew that it would be worth the learning experience and help me grow significantly as an actor. When it came to managing it, I almost had to treat it like another assessment or school task because, to me, it’s just as if not more important than my assessments. I tried to start learning my lines early on in the process and to learn the music I listened to all the songs on Spotify over the Christmas holidays. By the first rehearsal, I knew 80% of the music, which helped a lot. This meant I was able to focus
 on my singing technique and my tone
 instead of just learning the songs.

What advice would you give to any other students interested in being in a production?

It is so worth it, if you are on the fence about trying out there is literally nothing to lose. You learn so much about yourself, a
nd it immensely enhances and improves your confidence on stage and even in everyday social settings. Theatre, and drama is one of the reasons I have who I am today. The more performing you do the more comfortable you become being on stage or speaking in front of people. Its all about having fun and creating connections with new people and exploring a new skill. I know that out of all the experiences I have had at school all the musicals, plays and pantomimes are by far the best and most memorable. The cast is able to see what is on and off stage. EVERYONE in the cast has funny moments that the audience doesn’t get to see, and they are the best part of the productions. You can only get those experiences by giving it a go

What do you hope to do/study when you finish Year 12?

I am aiming to become a professional actor; hopefully, next year or in the next few years, I will be able to study at an acting school like NIDA or WAAPA. From there, I would love to be able to be part of musicals and plays around Australia and maybe even overseas.